Testing and Assessments
Eastern Carver County School District is committed to measuring student progress and being accountable for student achievement. For that purpose, the district maintains a comprehensive program of assessment for all students
There are two main types of assessments; formative and summative:
- Formative assessment happens during the learning process and is often referred to as the assessment for learning. Formative assessment is used to diagnose student needs and plan instruction to meet every student’s individual needs. Feedback is provided to students while working on a test or project to improve learning.
- Summative assessment happens at the end of the learning process and is often referred to as the assessment of learning. It is used to measure the achievement on a completed task, project or course. Summative assessments are generally used for reporting.
Why do we have multiple assessments?
No single assessment can measure a student’s total learning in a school environment. A variety of assessments are important to answer different questions about each individual student. Data collected from assessments, when used properly, lead to improved achievement.
Assessments are one tool used to:
- student achievement levels and skill performance
- students who may benefit from intervention programs
- at risk or gifted students
- student learning
- the effectiveness of our educational system
- student knowledge and skills relative to Minnesota Academic Standards
- educational innovations and curriculum
- to guide efforts to adapt instruction to the needs and abilities of students
- by assisting in setting educational priorities for groups or individual students
- to students, parents, teachers, district staff, school board, and community members
- to provide information on student achievement
2019-20 Testing Calendar
Testing Calendar - Click to expand
ACCESS 2.0 Testing Calendar
The following assessments have been or will be administered this year:
State Required Assessments
- Reading Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment – III (MCA-III)
- Mathematics Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment – III (MCA-III)
- Science Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment – III (MCA-III)
- Reading Minnesota Test of Academic Skills – III (MTAS-III)
- Mathematics Minnesota Test of Academic Skills – III (MTAS-III)
- Science Minnesota Test of Academic Skills – III (MTAS-III)
- ACCESS for ELL
- Alternate ACCESS for ELL