In the event of an emergency at a school, or in cases of weather-related changes to the school day, it’s important to know where to find accurate and up-to-date information. Here’s how you can stay in the know about urgent situations that may affect Eastern Carver County Schools:
- Check our website, www.district112.org. The notice of a school closure, late start or early dismissal will appear on our home page and the home page of all schools as soon as the decision is made. Details about emergency situations are posted to the website.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Not only will you get alerts, but you can catch glimpses of life inside our schools on regular school days.
- Automated phone calls to parents/guardians: School closings or delays are communicated through an automatic phone calling service. (Note: Some cellular phone carriers offer users the option to block automated phone calls (robo calls) and texts. If parents/guardians choose this option with their phone carrier, they will not receive calls or texts that the district sends through its automated phone service.)
- Enable text messaging from the district. Parents/guardians must configure this option in Campus Portal and we have outlined the instructions. (see note above regarding cellular phone carriers)
- Make sure you subscribe to 112Online. All parents are automatically enrolled to receive our e-newsletter. In the event of an Internet outage where the district cannot send emails or automated phone calls, the third-party service we use for e-newsletters will be used to communicate urgent information.
- For weather-related changes to the school day, Eastern Carver County Schools contacts Channels 4, 5, 9, and 11 as well as WCCO-AM by 5:30 a.m. We contact news stations immediately after the decision is made, but have no control over when the message airs.
Other important reminders:
- If schools close early, afternoon Club Care will be cancelled.
- If our schools start late, there is no morning Club Care.
- If school is closed all day, Club Care is closed.
- If school starts late, full-day preschool will open 2 hours late at 8:30 a.m.; morning half-day preschool and morning ECFE will be cancelled.
- After-school activities and athletic events are generally canceled if school is not in session or if schools close early. Student-athletes should look for communication from their coaches on whether practices are cancelled.
- If bad weather develops in the afternoon, activities and Community Education programs may be canceled.
- Decisions impact busing for all schools: Public, private, and specialized services provided by Eastern Carver County Schools.
- The decision to close school is based on road conditions and the weather forecast. Our priority is student safety. Parents always have the prerogative to keep children home or to pick up children from school if their assessment of the weather situation differs from the school district.