Specialized Education Services
Special education is specially designed instruction and related services that enable a student with a disability to access and benefit from their program of education. The focus of special education is to insure a Free & Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) for eligible students identified to have a disability and who are in need of individualized and specialized instruction. This instruction must be calculated to provide for progress toward goals and objectives through a collaborative process between parents/guardians, students and professional staff. Special education addresses the individual needs of the child that arise from a disability and is provided at no cost to the parents. Specially designed instruction means adapting the content, methodology, or delivery of instruction (i.e. what we teach and how we teach it) to address the student’s unique needs that arise as a result of their disability, and to ensure access to the general education curriculum.
We are dedicated to meeting the unique needs of our special education students and their families. Our mission is to:
- Create an equal partnership between parents, teachers and learners to foster open, honest communication.
- Provide an effective educational experience in neighborhood schools for students, families, staff and community members in an atmosphere where differences are accepted, valued, and supported by all.
- Provide an atmosphere of respect where students will improve weaknesses and capitalize on strengths to become independent learners.
- Dedicate ourselves to a collaborative team approach for meeting student needs in the least restrictive environment.
- Protect student rights and demonstrate program benefit by applying state and federal due process laws.
- Develop and implement individualized programs for students which are monitored through thoughtful data collection and analysis.
- Provide ongoing development opportunities for special education staff in effective, research based instructional strategies.
|Meet the Staff|
If you are new to the school district or exploring options – welcome! We are happy to assist in any way possible and would be thrilled to welcome your child in our schools.
If you are a current family in our school district, but new to specialized education – we look forward to working with you! We will be working closely with you and your child’s classroom teachers to help your child succeed.
If you are already served by Eastern Carver County Schools specialized education services – we are pleased to serve you! We hope the information we share here will help as you work with us on behalf of your child’s learning.
Eastern Carver County Schools provide specially designed instruction and programming for students with special learning needs. We pride ourselves on the quality of our staff and on our efforts to provide appropriate instruction for each student based on the latest educational research. We are committed to developing the skills and potential of every student we serve.
Our specialized education department serves approximately 1,200 children age birth through 21. The majority of the students receive specialized education services in their home schools. However, Eastern Carver County Schools offers a wide range of service delivery models including home-based services for infants and toddlers, resource programs and center-based programs. In addition, we access specialty programs offered by the SouthWest Metro Intermediate District 288.
Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance.